Applicants must have a Master's degree completed prior to beginning the doctoral program. The Master's degree should be relevant to the policy area of their specialization. For example, students with a Master’s in Geology might enter the Agriculture Policy specialization, but not the Family Policy specialization unless they commit to additional course work.
If students enroll in classes designated to address deficiencies, students may enter specializations outside of their Master’s area. These decisions will be made on an individual basis by the program faculty.
A GPA of at least a 3.20 on a four point scale for all graduate course work is required.
Admission Cycle: Fall Only
DEC 16 = The application deadline for all materials if you want to be considered for a doctoral fellowship.
FEB 6 = Due date for ALL applicants
MAR 20 = Student notified of admission decision
APR 15 = Student must give response by
To apply for the policy Ph.D. program, please submit the following
Please e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail (Public Policy Ph.D. Program, 213 Gearhart Hall, 340 N. Arkansas Ave., 1 University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, USA 72701) the following by the requisite application date:
- Application to Graduate School
- Pay the application fee of $40
- Letter of intent to enter the program
- Official Transcripts
- Official GRE Scores
- Statement of policy area of interest (why do you want a PUBP Ph.D. and what will it do for you?)
- Statement of a current policy problem and a proposed solution (the public policy issue paper/essay must address a public policy problem in a research/empirical context).
- Three letters of reference (original letters in hard copy)
If you are currently a UofA graduate student, transcripts are not required and the application fee is $25
- Agriculture Policy
- Community Development and Recreation Policy
- Education Policy
- Family Policy
- Health Policy
- Policy Studies in Aging, and
- Policy Management
- Specialization enrollment in health policy is limited. Please contact the Director of the Policy Program before applying to this specialization.
- Applicants denied admission will not be able to reapply for two years from the application action.